Sunday, November 23, 2014

Dear Daddy

Dear Daddy,

A couple weeks ago I went to a high-end outfitter in Charlotte called "The Sporting Gent."   You would have loved this store.  Ben had been wanting to check it out and we even brought Josie with us, luckily she was occupied by the cute golden retriever, Quinn - he works there and has cute toys all over the place.

After getting a feel for the store, I spontaneously turned my trip into a sales call.  I told the owner what I was doing with the turkey feathers you gave me and showed him my website.  He loved them and said, sure bring some in "we'll sell um"  (wow, what a different experience from my typical sales meetings!).  So I went to work and made two dozen so he could choose which ones he wanted to try.  Twelve of the gold corduroy with red linen paper (a previous best seller) and twelve leather on three shades of Christmas duplex paper.

I loved going through all the bags you gave me seeing your handwriting and how much care you took to package them for me.  When I was about a third of the way in sewing the feathers on, the tears starting falling.  I thought about how beautiful the feathers are, and how much you shared your love of hunting this magnificent fowl with me.  

I never was able to go hunting with you, but you did tell me all about your adventures,  teach me how to call a turkey, feed our family, and passed along the feathers that I enjoy in my home and work.   It was your favorite sport and now it is a major part of my career.

Three weeks before you died, I remember asking to have a pair of your turkey feet so that I could pass along to my graphic designer.  I wanted to make sure that the turkey was part of the Bobbin brand b/c it was the first card I made, was discussed and used in my thesis,  and has a broad presence within my company.  You gave me two feet (southeastern and rio grande) and they are currently sitting in our "cabinet of curiosities". Also we have added a couple more of yours in my room to display jewelry on.   -just imagine the responses we get when people see my rings and bracelets all stacked on the claws:)

Last week I dropped the cards off.  As I was approaching the shop on Selwyn Avenue, I remembered a time, about a week before Josie was born,  I saw a turkey walking in someones yard, near that very busy street and all of the shops, very much out of place, but I was elated.

When I arrived at the shop, the owner wanted ALL the "shackelford" cards I made.    It was very important for me to make you proud growing up and that has not changed today.  Creating and selling that particular order was very gratifying because of your love of turkeys.  Even though you are not here on Earth, your presence is very much emanate with me.  Love you so much and Happy Turkey Day

No comments:

Post a Comment